Saturday 30 June 2012

Another quick quilt!

I managed to whip this is up in less than two weeks!  Bought the kit from a super store on East Katella in Orange http://www.orangequiltbee.com/ - the lady had pointed OH and the boys in the direction of a local park so I could wander around the shop by myself - whoo hoo - and I fell in love with this at first sight:

(the quilt not the boy - have loved him for years!).

The quilt was $92 and when I said to the lady that I would treat myself to it as it was my birthday she said "If your birthday is 7 days before or after todays date you get a 25% discount" - swoon - what a fabulous birthday present is that!  So of course I bought it (and a few other items) - would have been rude not to wouldn't it!

I kept it the same as the sample apart from the borders where I added in the extra red and yellow bits on the sides - because doing so meant I could keep a big piece of the border material to make a super backing:


I have only quilted around the edges of the black pieces on the front and backs.  To do so I put the front piece and wadding together and quilted around the first set of black strips, then I tucked and folded the front piece in on itself to fit within that quilted square and pinned it all, I then positioned the back piece onto the wadding and quilted around the black strips through just that piece of material and the wadding - managing to avoid the front piece as it was all pinned out of the way.  Then I refolded the back piece on itself in the same way and unpinned and flattened out the front and quilted around the outer black strips on the front piece.  That way I haven't had to have any sewing lines on the back that I didn't want.  I am not really a fully fledged quilter yet so I am not sure whether this is the correct way to do it but the Quilt Police havent knocked on my door yet and the quilt hasnt fallen to pieces either so I am assuming I am ok!  The lady who created the quilt had done some lovely free hand quilting all over the front but I have left mine plain.  Now we are all fighting over it as to whose bed it goes on!

Thanks for looking and don't forget to join in the blog hop tomorrow if you love quilts, the link is here Red, White and Blue blog hop and my blog hop day is 11th July.

Off to the school Summer Fayre from Solihull

6 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh it's gorgeous! I'd have bought it too - and then sat it in a drawer for yonks...well done you. Whichever bed, it 's a family treasure!

Jenny Marples said...

This is so different and will undoubtedly become a treasured heirloom. And two weeks to make it? Wow! Hugs, Buttons x

Hettie said...

This is gorgeous Nicola and especially love the feet poking out the bottom! How did you attach those? LOL!

Jackie xxx said...

Love it - you are so talented, bring it to the next crop would love to see it in real life. x

Missus Wookie said...

Oh that is gorgeous - we love Dr Suess here :)

Mrs A. said...

Beautiful quilt and your speed at making it amazes me. Hugs Mrs A.